08 December 2011

Enlightened Racism in Rise of the Planet of the Apes

After a brief interruption in service, Paracinema is back in action. My critique of Rise of the Planet of the Apes, after stirring some controversy has been updated and is also back in action. You can read it in its entirety HERE and if you so desire, join in the dialogue.

Those of you regular LVA visitors will recognize my rhetorical style, extended somewhat further here because Planet of the Apes is one of my favorite franchises. I did a lot of research for this writeup including watching a number of other films and revisiting some other writers who offer critical analyses of race, pop-culture, politics and of course cinema.



3 comments:

Kev D. said...

I too enjoyed the movie, but found it SO EASY to just turn off the brain and go into popcorn mode.

Fantastic review, you've mamaged to inject more depth than I think Wyatt and co. even knew was there.

The Goodkind said...

Thanks Kev D. Often times, and I suspect this is the case with RoPotA, writers end up unconsciously reproducing stereotypes, and as passive observers, we end up simply accepting them.
On another note, I thought Rupert Wyatt did a good job. His only other film The Escapist, which he directed and wrote, was more creative.

The Goodkind said...

A reader at the Paracinema Facebook page noted that I spelled Sikh wrong (Seik) which makes me look like an ass, particularly in this context. I have no excuse, I assumed I knew how to spell it.