17 September 2012

Cat's Eye


United States - 1985
Director - Lewis Teague
Key Video, 1995, VHS
Run Time - 1 hour, 34 minutes

I know that Key was only the distribution arm of FOX, but I fuckin' love those rainbow striped boxes. They were all glued shut on the top and had flaps glued open on the bottom. The branded video boxes of the early VHS years, when each distributor had their own distinctive design are my absolute favorite. Key and VCII are great ones, as were the old boxes from RCA/Columbia. Paragon was good too but was a little bit of a latecomer as was Charter.
In many ways I wish I had the space to keep all of these boxes around. Then again, I know that I don't want to be tied down my material possessions. Property is confinement, rent is theft!

2 comments:

RhuBarb said...

The boxes are collectible eye candy to me, hoarding to others :)

The Goodkind said...

No doubt RhuBarb. I see the scans as a way of 'collecting' without the keeping, for which I do not have physical space. Plus I am far more interested in the content and what it says about social and political culture.
Still, I hope you can tell, I love those dang boxes.